[PLUG] HP OfficeJet 600 & samba

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Thu Aug 22 21:51:12 UTC 2002

Charlie Schluting wrote:
> Well, I used to do OfficeJet support for HP.
> So, basically what you want to do isn't possible. You cannot fax over
> the network without the HP windows software. But, as far a settings go,
> if you connect it to a windows box, set the distinctive ring or rings to
> answer, and disconnect it from the computer, it will hold the settings.
> You can also access the parameters menu using *# (press together, then
> release), then push 1,2,3. I don't remember which parameters to change,
> but I could probably get a list. You won't have to mess with that if you
> install the software on a windows box temporarily anyways.
>
> In order to PC fax, you just have to hope the linux driver will some day
> support that. However, by that time, the false paper jams will probably
> have frustrated you so much that the machine will be in pieces :)
>
> Oh, on a side note, PC faxing with the windows version cannot be done
> over a network anyways. At least, not with the OJ600.

I'm doing this for a friend and am not familiar with the machine.  He had
set the distinctive ring once with windows software, but it has since
"forgot", he didn't think you could do it through the panel--good to know
that's possible.

So you can't fool windows into thinking it's a local device?

Any recommendations on all-in-one makers/models that work in a mixed linux
and win environment?

--
Kyle Accardi