[PLUG] A training cooperative?

Aj Lavin aj at haightmail.org
Fri Aug 23 11:48:03 UTC 2002

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 11:27:48PM -0700, Jon Jacob wrote:

> I am not sure that putting up a web page would help much, but if you
> want to start something that would be cool.  My hope was that it would
> grow organically.  No plan, but just people taking the initiative.
>
> However, if someone wants to make things more formal, I would support
> that.

Hello Linux fans,

The co-op sounds like a very cool idea.

You should consider using the (free) Xenternet community service to
organize it. I made Xenternet precisely for this sort of thing.

At www.xenternet.com, you can create an online community that has its
own threaded discussion board, events calendar, and news
articles. There is a 3 level moderation system. Group access can be
made public or private. Pictures with captions can be attached to all
content.

For example, check out the Portland Tech events calendar:

http://www.xenternet.com/calendar_show.php?groupid=44

Also check out the screen shots at:

http://www.ajlavin.com/products.php

If you require additional functionality I might be interested to
implement it.

Xenternet was made using PHP, PostgreSQL, XML, and XSLT, and runs
under Apache on Linux 2.4.

- Aj