[PLUG] Hard drives -- danger?

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Fri Aug 23 13:55:24 UTC 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Tyler F. Creelan wrote:

> Another hardware question for sysadmins; is it okay to stack harddrives
> right next to each other?

Tyler,

As mentioned in another message think about mounting them, or at least one
of them, in the 5 1/4" bays.  Also well worth the money are bay coolers
(CyberGuys.Com).  These are for 5 1/4" bays and have two or three fans and
a dust filter on the front.  Be sure to sufficient exhaust fans also.
Getting more air in than is going out is just pressurized heat.  :-)

Rod

> Since I only have two bays there's not much choice, but there's
> virtually no space between my two hard drives and it gets awfully hot
> there. What happens if hard drives get too hot? Is it possible in a
> desktop environment?

Oh yeah!  I you're running a pretty hot system system, 1+ GHz, fast video
card, etc. you should also look at putting in round drive cables verses
the flat cables normally using in desktop systems.  (Again CyberGuys.Com
:-)  They will let the air flow much better and help prevent hot spots in
the case where the flat cables could force air to circulate in a small
area.

Rod