[PLUG] IPv6 (was: Network snag)

Jason Dagit dagit at engr.orst.edu
Fri Aug 23 19:48:24 UTC 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Richard Langis wrote:

> Okay, so I apt-get'ed the freenet6 client, got it working, went to the
> freenet6.net page, and got a login and everything is all peachy keen.

Cool, did you enable ipv6 in kernel too?

> Now...why use a ipv6 tunnel?  I looked around the site, but there wasn't
> really any *why* listed for the project.

Read the intro link if you haven't already.

> Granted, ipv6 will be a good thing, but only when *everyone* starts
> using it.  Is the freenet6 project trying to increase awareness and get
> people used to using ipv6 address space so that the transition (when it
> happens) will be seamless, or...?

I think you got it.  I'm not expert, but what you said is my
understanding, when I took a networking class they said slow painful
transition was planned for ipv6.  So right about the time we switch to
metric, ipv6 should really be taking off :)

> That said, I either compile in or make a module for ipv6 in every
> install.  Now if only my switches and ISP used 'em.  ;)

So you have ipv4 and ipv6 coexisting in all your kernels?  Cool, now I
need to get off my bum and do that.

Jason