[PLUG] GCC 3.2 and the kernel warning

AthlonRob AthlonRob at data.lm.ro
Fri Aug 23 20:06:52 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 12:33, Alan wrote:
> Be very careful when you install GCC 3.2.  If you have any kernel
> drivers that are provided by a third party, such as nVIDIA drivers, they
> must be compiled by GCC 3.2 if the kernel is compiled by GCC 3.2.
>
> This means that if you move to the Redhat 7.3.94 (Null) beta, your
> nVIDIA drivers from nVIDIA will no longer load.  They do not have a GCC
> 3.2 driver set out yet.  I found out about this the hard way.
>
> GCC 3.2 is going to be a rough upgrade for all concerned.

Ok... question....

Do the nVidia drivers not compile or something?  They are literally the
easiest compile out there.  Even if there were modules available
(precompiled) for my distro, I certainly wouldn't use them as they take
about three seconds to compile and install.

Was your only problem that the precompiled drivers won't work or that
you couldn't get the tarballs to compile?

That's interesting that GCC 3.2 does that to the kernel.  I wonder why
it is.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single reason why
that might be.... oh well.

--
Rob
"Google is your friend"