[PLUG] Time for a new keyboard.... (OT?)

AthlonRob AthlonRob at data.lm.ro
Fri Aug 23 23:46:36 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 15:48, Tyler F. Creelan wrote:
> > Naw, I type with QWERTY and QWERTY alone.  I type on *way* too many
> > computers to learn a different typing style.  I do PC repair type stuff
> > in my free time.
>
> s:/QWERTY/Microsoft
> s:/typing style/operating system
>
> This argument sounds familar... :)

Not to me.

1)  DVORAK works in most any operating system, including PalmOS which
doesn't even use a keyboard by default.
2)  Learning Linux would essentially have no effect on Windows usage,
minus the occaisional cp instead of copy while learning DVORAK well
could have quite an effect on my use of systems set up for QWERTY.

<snip>

> So anyway, if you argue against Dvorak for being non-standard and
> difficult to learn, don't complain about Windows users making the same
> argument... the underlying action is choosing exploitation (getting
> the job done, poorly) over exploration (learning how to do it better).

I'm not arguing against DVORAK at all.  I'm simply saying I'm not going
to learn it right now as it would take keyboard fixing (I'm not going to
learn to type on a keyboard by hitting the WRONG letters), and basic
training.  Right now, with QWERTY, if I think I, I hit I.  If I learned
to do the same with DVORAK, I would have to think I, think DVORAK or
QWERTY? and then hit the proper I.  Because I *do* work on many systems
set up for QWERTY, I cannot justify hampering my QWERTY-skills by
learning a new keyboard/typing style because three people say it works
better.

> PS: Like Linux/Windows, it is possible to learn both Qwerty and Dvorak! :)

It is possible to run both Linux and Windows, looking like Linux or
Windows, on the same (single) computer, thoough.  It isn't possible to
have both a QWERTY and DVORAK keymap on the same keyboard, though, is
it?  If you switch from one to the other, your keys will look wrong,
unless you pry each of them off and put it in the proper place (except I
noticed A was in the same place).

No thank you.

And why am I defending my typing style here?  Sheesh.  :-)

--
Rob
"Google is your friend"