[PLUG] Commands to be used avoiding reboot PC

Jason Dagit dagit at engr.orst.edu
Sat Aug 24 06:42:35 UTC 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Kenneth G. Stephens wrote:

> On Friday 23 August 2002 09:26 pm, Matt Alexander wrote:

> > > To carry out those commands in Konsole window ???
>
> after editing fstab you may issue the command:  mount -a
> this command reads the /etc/fstab file and mounts what is not mounted and
> possible to mount.  If you don't have a floppy in the drive it won't mount
> it.

I use mount -a as a trouble shooting tool.  After editing /etc/fstab, run
mount -a and you can basically double check your work. About 99% of the
time you can detect a typo at that time.  Instead of 3 months later when
you upgrade your kernel.

> After editing the XF86Config, exit X.  If you are using xdm or init 5 or X
> login window you must do the init 3 then init 5 to stop X and restart it.
> If you had started X from a console window after logging in, then just exit X
> by CTRL-ALT-<backspace>.  This kills the X server and brings you back to the
> text console.  Then just startx.

I would like to add that a lot of setting for X can be expeiremented with
useing xset.  I like to try things out before they go into the config
file.  xset is great for that, most of the time.

HTH,
Jason