[PLUG] Commands to be used avoiding reboot PC

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Aug 24 13:46:37 UTC 2002

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, Stephen Liu wrote:

> >   Shut down X, log out, log in, startx.
>
> To carry out those commands in Konsole window ???

Stephen,

  I've no idea. I've never run KDE and I'm completely unfamiliar with all
its toys and gadgets.

  The only X desktop I've run -- since I discovered it after a couple of
weeks with xfwm, xfwm2 and afterstep -- is Xfce. For me, it's perfect. I
never log in directly to X because there are times when I just want to check
mail or do other tasks that would be done on the command line in any case.

  So, I have a command line when I log in and I use the 'startx' command to
load the gooey. Again, this suits my preferences and is not advocated as the
Right Way for anyone else.

  Back to your question: I presume that a 'konsole' window is KDE's version
of an (x|a|e|term/rxvt); that is, a virtual console with a command line in
which to type. I may be completely wrong, because I'm not a RHCE or SysAdmin
or any other kind of computer professional, but I don't think that you can
have the system pick up changes in your Xconfiguration without stopping X
and restarting it so it reads all the preference files.

  In Xfce, a left-pointer click on the root window (i.e., background) pops
up a menu. One of the choises is to Quit xfce, and the submenu from that
offers a choice to restart xfce. This I can do without shutting down X or
closing any open applications. Convenient. Perhaps KDE has the same ability.

HTH,