[PLUG] Commands to be used avoiding reboot PC

Kenneth G. Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Sun Aug 25 02:14:47 UTC 2002

On Friday 23 August 2002 11:32 pm, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> At 10:20 PM 8/23/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >after editing fstab you may issue the command:  mount -a
> >this command reads the /etc/fstab file and mounts what is not mounted and
> >possible to mount.  If you don't have a floppy in the drive it won't mount
> >it.
>
> If I use text editor to edit fstab on KDE can I use the desktop icon to
> mount the floppy???  Or I have execute those commands on Konsole window ???

Yep.  If you wish a users to be able to mount the floppy add "user" to the
options portion of fstab.   A man fstab will give you the options.

>After editing the XF86Config, exit X.
>
> If I use text editor to editor XF86Config-4, whether exit X to text-mode
> (Ctrl+Alt+F2) and then change back to X (graphic mode) with (Ctrl+Alt+F7)
> ???.  The new settings would be executed.

Ctrl-Alt-F2 just switches you to a text console.  The X server is still
running on the seventh console.  You are switching to different sessions and
not stopping and restarting the X server.  You must do one of the following
to get the X server to stop and reread the configuration file.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Stephen
>
> >If you are using xdm or init 5 or X
> >login window you must do the init 3 then init 5 to stop X and restart it.
> >If you had started X from a console window after logging in, then just
> > exit X by CTRL-ALT-<backspace>.  This kills the X server and brings you
> > back to the text console.  Then just startx.

Ken Stephens
www.cad2cam.com
www.cadtocam.com