[PLUG] Linux Distros

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Aug 26 07:00:50 UTC 2002

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Russell Evans wrote:
> I read this a little differently. I thought Mike was pointing out that
> with little thought, Jeme insulted some people.

Well, I received both of Preston's posts in this thread, but oddly never
received either of the posts to which he was responding.  I've been
waiting to receive the original posts to respond, but it's been a couple
of days and they're not forthcoming.  Can anyone tell me why?

> The only issue with this informal demonstration of community, is when
> we have a rouge that won't accept the lack of formal boundaries.  The
> only course is to use inaction to become action. When we have a rouge,
> and the person posts out of bound, ignoring the post is the only
> action that will force the rouge to either, stop posting or post
> within the boundaries.

This is so close to how an anarchist system SHOULD work, it hurts.  The
one tiny detail that you don't seem to grasp is that ignoring the rogue
poster doesn't AND SHOULDN'T make him stop or change his behavior.  The
behavior simply becomes irrelevant.

Of course, that only holds for non-destructive behavior.

And in response to Mike, whose message never reached me (replies should
probably go to plug-talk)...

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Mike De La Mater wrote:
> Suckered in again, sorry.

By Christianity?

(Sorry, cheap shot but I couldn't pass it up.  Heh.)

> Mumbo-Jumbo?

Any object or personage of superstitious homage or fear.

Yup.  I'd call the anti-christ Mumbo Jumbo.

> Do you realize that the Bible and the Koran are major books in over
> 75% of the world's population?

First, what the hell does the Koran have to do with the anti-christ?
Seeing as how the Koran doesn't include Christ as a divine figure, the
anti-christ has no meaning in that context.  So that's totally
meaningless.

Second, what does it mean to say that something is a "major book" and how
would that make the concept of the anti-christ NOT mumbo jumbo?

Third, did you just pull those numbers out of thin air?  (He chokes back
the more natural metaphor.)  The only real numbers I could find on the
subject was the breakdown here:
This page gives estimates of about 53% for Christianity and Islam
combined.  And given the earlier statement that Islamic people have no
anti-christ and my anecdotal experience which informs me that many
Christians think the anti-christ is just so much ancient superstition, I'd
say we're talking about a fairly small minority indeed.

> Had you considered that most people would find your comment offensive?

No, I figured most people would agree that the anti-christ is an object of
superstitious fear and see the difference between that and the real danger
of greed and economic warfare in our civilization.

Those who would be offended are certainly in the minority.

Now, you want offensive?

Man, I can't wait to finish my screen press.
J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net