[PLUG] GCC 3.2 and the kernel warning

Fedor G. Pikus fedorp at wv.mentorg.com
Tue Aug 27 00:55:25 UTC 2002

Matrox drivers are open-source, although not for Parthelia ("coming
soon", according to Matrox web site). So it remains to be seen whether
Matrox will provide open-source 3D-accelerated drivers (I don't know if 3D
acceleration is enabled in Matrox drivers for G450 and below, but I don't
think it matters, the 3D performance of these cards is pathetic).
Parthelia, despite very impressive and expensive hardware, still
underperforms GeForce 4, although not by much. The difference is small,
so, if they provide a 3D driver, I'd consider switching to Matrox, for the
convenience of having an open-source driver.

Your next choice is ATI. Radeon 8500 is decent, and Radeon 9700
outperforms GeForce 4 Ti 4600... with their Windows driver. Open-source
drivers don't do a good job of 3D acceleration.

So, for now, you have a choice: if you want to have a good 3D-accelerated
card, and have the freedom to accomplish what you need, go with NVidia.
If your believes do not allow you to pollute your system with close-source
drivers, then a small inconvenience of not being able to have decent 3D
performance is a small price to pay for ideological purity (besides, what
are you going to run on that fast 3D card, most 3D card are for games, and
most 3D games are not open-sourced either).

Fedor