[PLUG] Help with SCSI CD-RW drive

Fedor G. Pikus fedorp at wv.mentorg.com
Tue Aug 27 22:41:53 UTC 2002

First thing to check is this:
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
This should show something like this:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Yamaha  Model: ...
Host: scsi1 .....

You should see one "Host" for the actual SCSI controller, one for iscsi,
and if you use ide-scsi for your ide CD, one more for that.
And you should see all devices on all SCSI hosts, including the CDRW.

If you don't see that, your controller or your CD were not recognized.

If you see that, the next step is to do
cdrecord --scanbus

Now you should see something like this:
scsibus0:
   0,0,0     0) 'Yamaha ' ...
where the numbers are channel, ID, and LUN.

If you don't see this, there is a problem with the generic device driver,
sg. Check lsmod, you should see "sg" module loaded unless you compiled all
this stuff into the kernel. If you see the autput like above, cdrecord
should work for burning the CDs, using the 3 numbers it gave you for the
CDRW.

You should also have the sr_mod module loaded, although usually its
autoload is triggered by trying to access the device. So now you actually
need to know the device. It will be /dev/scd0 or scd1, depending on which
CD is first. When you did cat /proc/scsi/scsi, you can just count them
from the top, the first CD is scd0, and so on. But you need those modules
loaded to access the device. Try to load everything manually first:
modprobe sr_mod sg
then if it works, add this to your modules.conf:
alias scsi_hostadapter <scsi>
alias scd0 sr_mod                    # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
pre-install sg     modprobe <scsi>   # load <scsi> before sg
pre-install sr_mod modprobe <scsi>   # load aic7xxx before sr_mod

where <scsi> it the module for your SCSI card.
If you have more than one SCSI CD (in your case it means if your ide CD is
on ide-scsi), you need to give some thought to the order. It'll be scd0 or
scd1 above, and you need to decide what you want to load first, ide-scsi
or scsi (and if you use initrd to load scsi modules, or some of it is
compiled into the kernel, you may not have a choice, go with whatever
order you end up with).

--
                                  Fedor G. Pikus
Mentor Graphics Corporation         | Phone: (503) 685-4857