[PLUG] Mozilla hangs machine

Fedor G. Pikus fedorp at wv.mentorg.com
Wed Aug 28 06:14:12 UTC 2002

It's not hung, it's just busy loading up all the cool shit they bloated
mozilla with. Give it a few hours, it'll come back :)

No, it probably won't.
Check system logs, they may have some messages from just before the
freeze. But if you just reset the machine, they may not.
Try this: before calling mozilla, go to a text
console (Ctrl-F1), log in as root, start tail -f /var/log/messages there.

Then, go back to X, start mozilla, and immediately go back to text. If you
can do it before mozilla freeses X, you'll be watching the system log as
it scrolls by. May be mozilla does not freeze everything, only X, then you
won't notice anything wrong. Until you switch to X, that is :)

In any event, I'd suspect video drivers, especially if everything locks
up not just X. You did not mention what video
card you use, and what drivers? Some AGP video cards like to do this kind
of stuff on some motherboards, you can try disabling AGP (set AGP page
size to below 32M and it's disabled in your BIOS). With closed-source
NVidia drivers, you can disable AGP from software too, other drivers may
have this option.

Fedor