[PLUG] C++ is too complex (was: Having problems loading shared libraries. (fwd))

Jason Dagit dagit at engr.orst.edu
Wed Aug 28 08:56:57 UTC 2002

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Kyle Hayes wrote:

> Dynamic cast is a newish C++ feature.  I am somewhat shocked that it would
> be implemented as a named function rather than being inlined directly in
> place.  Weird.  My guess is that GCC/G++ 2.96 supports dynamic cast and
> the old library doesn't.
>
> I believe there are compiler flags that will turn off support for this
> stuff, but you'd probably have to change code then.  It is harder to keep
> binary compatibility with C++ libraries than C libraries in general.

It has been my feeling for a while now that because C++ is OOP, it causes
people to think about the design longer, causing people to write a better
design, but because the langauge is more complex than most programmers are
used to, it can lead to very complicated, hard to maintain code.  If you
screw up in the implementation (ie. in c you have a buffer over flow) then
you have shot your foot.  But if you screw up the design (ie. in c++ you
misuse a language feature to express some OO concept) then it can have far
reaching consequences down the line.  I know C++ has many improvements
over C, and it really does help conceptualize some problems, but it is a
VERY complex langauge that allows you to do many things you shouldn't be
doing...And you can create bugs which "don't make sense"...

Many times, simple is better and less is more.  Not saying c++ is a waste
of time, I just wish it wasn't so complex.

Jason