[PLUG] NFS mounting cdrom from Linux to Solaris

Stafford A. Rau srau at rauhaus.org
Wed Aug 28 16:55:44 UTC 2002

I have an odd problem with cdrom volumes nfs mounted from a Linux box on
to a Solaris box. Occaisionally files, directories, and even the entire
volume will dissappear temporarily from the nfs mounted partition.

I thought it might have to do with the way Linux does either caching or
handles spinning up and spinning down the cdrom drive, so while I needed
to access the nfs mount on the Solaris machine, I've tried keeping the
drive in use on the Linux side:

cd /cdrom
while true; do
	ls -lR .
	sleep 30
done

But even that hasn't completely made this problem go away. Any magic
switches, either for mounting the cdrom volume on the Linux box, or nfs
mounting it elsewhere, that might help?

Thanks,
--Stafford