[PLUG] A _Red Hat_ upgrade question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Aug 29 03:40:55 UTC 2002

  It seems to me that previous Red Hat upgrades kept the configuration
options in a file so that all packages to be upgraded/installed need not be
re-selected if the upgrade was aborted and restarted. But, selecting
'upgrade' on the RH 7.3 cdrom #1 makes me select the packages each time.

  While my expert help today was absolutely invaluable, there was just one
problem after another. Imagine, 500M free in /usr was not sufficient for the
upgrade! I certainly got a thorough education in the use of parted to resize
and move partitions. A great tool, but it was too bad we needed to use it.

  Anyhow, I gave up for the evening when the cdrom had a corrupted file that
wouldn't install. Tomorrow is another day and the contest continues. Is it
only the kernel sources that permit 'make config' and let you use the same
options time and again? It would sure save a ton of time if I didn't need to
reselect the packages for a fourth time but could use a saved configuration
file.

Thanks,