[PLUG] Making web browsing fun again

Richard Langis richard.langis at sun.com
Thu Aug 29 22:10:37 UTC 2002

I'm using a combination junkbuster -> squid proxy at home.  Junkbuster
is an opt-in filter, meaning you have to manually add the things you
want to block.  However, most ad banner cgis and urls are pretty
similar, and/or come from the same place, so only a few entries will
catch 90% of the ads.

My wife likes to use IE under XP, so she doesn't have the option of
turning off popups or other Bad(tm) things.  I have to do all that on
the packet-pushing side.  Lucky me.

She DOES like how junkbuster can block out an ad and put in a custom 'ad
blocked' page/image/url.  Keeps the page layout workable - some ad
blockers replace the ad with a 1x1 .gif.

-R