[PLUG] Making web browsing fun again

Jason Dagit dagit at engr.orst.edu
Fri Aug 30 02:24:53 UTC 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Dan Young wrote:
>
> > Jason Dagit said:
> > > Does anyone know of a good filter proxy for blocking banner ads and
> > > pop-ups?  I just found one called Yet Another Filter Proxy (YAFP), but I
> > > haven't had a chance to test it.
> >
> > Not a proxy-based solution, but Mozilla users can look to should check out
> > BannerBlind. It filters based on banner size, with many presets available.
> > It did a semi-decent job w/ default settings, and could probably do much
> > better w/ a few custom sizes added.
> >
> > http://bannerblind.mozdev.org
>
>   Has anyone mentioned junkbuster? We've been running it for a few years now
> and it works _very_ well.

I think a couple people mentioned it, I don't think anyone here except
Randall Schwartz (sorry if I misspell it) has used YAFP.  I guess he
indirectly wrote the program.  The reason I was curious about it instead
of junkbuster is that YAFP claims to have a few features that junkbuster
lacks.  I do want something that can be setup as a proxy.  If it works
well then I'm going to set it up so that all http trafic on my network can
go through it.

I'll have to give both of them a try.  And maybe even borrow your config
files if that is ok.

Jason