[PLUG] Did I just do something very stupid?

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Sat Aug 31 00:21:58 UTC 2002

 :: I did a quick scan of my SuSE 8.0 system and I couldn't find a single
 :: case of where any file or directory was writable by "other". Maybe
 :: Mandrake is different but all of my KDE stuff goes into /opt and I
 :: didn't see that any KDE related in /usr/share.
 ::
 :: Tony

Unfortunately Mandrake is sufficiently different from SuSE that
such a comparison is probably not useful (but thanks just the same).

And unfortunately KDE under Mandrake goes in /usr with a boat load of
it in /usr/share.  For example, heres a small snippet from the "A's":

  drwxr-xr-x    8 root     root         4096 Apr  1 10:11 applets/
  drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Aug 26 19:27 application-registry/
  drwxr-xr-x   17 root     root         4096 Feb 22  2002 applnk/
  drwxr-xr-x   14 root     root         4096 Aug 26 19:28 applnk-mdk/
  drwxr-xr-x   11 root     root         4096 Aug 26 19:28 applnk-mdk-simplified/
  drwxr-xr-x  150 root     root         4096 Apr  1 13:21 apps/

Each of these have reams of KDE .desktop and other files in them.  And
that's just the A's.

Mandrake tries to be very sophisticated when it comes to KDE and
menu/desktop updates when you install/de-install their packages.  Lots
of little perl scripts get fired off behind the scenes that do lots of
little magical things. It actually all works remarkable well---until
some Dolt comes along and does a global permission change on a major
system subdirectory!

So far I have not seen any adverse effects, but I'm just using the system
right now.  I guess I'll find out next time I install an rpm or
restart KDE.  I'm almost afraid to try.

Dean