[PLUG] System message/kernel error?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Aug 31 18:01:19 UTC 2002

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> See the syslog.conf(5) man page and edit the syslog.conf file
> accordingly :-)

Paul,

  Here's the relevant (and topmost) lines from /etc/syslog.conf:

# Log all kernel messages to the console.
# Logging much else clutters up the screen.
#kern.*                                                 /dev/console
kern.*                                                  /dev/tty12

  Notice that I commented out the /dev/console destination. I've no idea
what /dev/tty12 is; perhaps that needs to also be commented out.

  I don't see any directions for kernel messages to go to /var/log/messages,
but they sure end up there, too. Ergo, I must be misunderstanding the file
or I'm missing something really simple.

Thoughts?