[PLUG] Path statement

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Dec 2 14:08:49 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Robert Kopp wrote:

> When I type $PATH at the command prompt, I'm not quite satisfied with what
> I see. If I want it different (and the changes permanent), where do I make
> the changes? I use Caldera OpenLinux 3.1, though this is probably not a
> distribution-specific issue.

Tim,

  What's not to like?

  The PATH variable is defined in ~/.bash_profile (or ~/.profile if you use
csh). When you want to add specific directories to your path variable, you
can always do so by appending; e.g., PATH=$PATH:HOME/bin:/some/place/else.

  The bash man page has details and so does the ORA nutshell book on the
bash shell.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)