[PLUG] Path statement

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 19:11:36 UTC 2002

--- Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Robert Kopp wrote:
>
> > When I type $PATH at the command prompt, I'm not
> quite satisfied with what
> > I see. If I want it different (and the changes
> permanent), where do I make
> > the changes?

> Tim,
>
>   What's not to like?
>
>   The PATH variable is defined in ~/.bash_profile
> (or ~/.profile if you use
> csh). When you want to add specific directories to
> your path variable, you
> can always do so by appending; e.g.,
> PATH=$PATH:HOME/bin:/some/place/else.

This method of adding to the PATH works, but since it
didn't solve the problem, I'll start from the
beginning, hoping that someone can solve it. Just the
other day, I installed (?) the GNU Scientific Library,
C subroutines for a wide variety of scientific
applications. Sure enough, the header files were
installed where they should be. So then I copied and
pasted the "Hello World" driver program into a text
editor, to try it out:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <gsl/gsl_sf_bessel.h>

int main (void)

{
	double x = 5.0;
	double y = gsl_sf_besselJ0(x);
	printf("J0(%g) = %.18e\n", x, y);
	return 0;
}

The compiler complains that this "bessel" function is
not defined--that is, that there is a call to an
undefined function. The function is in
/usr/local/include/gsl, so it seems that
/usr/local/include should be in the path, which it is
not. I used the suggested remedy to add this to the
path, but the problem persists. Could it actually be
that the people who wrote the manual for this library
wrote a five or six line program with mistakes in it?
If so, I'm going to bring it to their attention. In
any case, the benefits of using the package are such
that I'd like to get this solved.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"SAMBA--opening Windows to a wider world."