[PLUG] Changing computer name

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Tue Dec 3 01:03:51 UTC 2002

Russ Johnson wrote:

> * Scott VanHoosen <octopus024 at yahoo.com> [2002-11-30 00:10]:
> > Edit this file:
> >
> > /etc/sysconfig/network
> >   NETWORKING=yes
> >   HOSTNAME=dell
>
> Unlike most other unices, linux wants the FQDN in the HOSTNAME variable in that file.

So, how do I figure out what to use for the FQDN for the machines in my
home network? I am using my Netgear router's dhcp server for an ip
address. The router is connected to the attbi cable modem. I have given
most of my machines names based on their manufacturer since those end up
being unique. In my case, I would have put HOSTNAME=avatar in the above
line. What should it be if it is supposed to be a fully qualified domain
name?

On that (RH 8.0) machine, when logging in from the x login screen, I get
the following message after entering my user name and password:

	Could not look up internet address for dhcppc3.
	This will prevent GNOME	from operating correctly.
	It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
	dhcppc3 to the file /etc/hosts.

		[Log in Anyway] [Try Again]

I select [Log in Anyway], I get logged in, and I can surf the net. I
would expect that information to be provided by the router, and not be
something I put into /etc/hosts, unless the router's supposed to be in
there in some way.

My /etc/networking file reads:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=avatar

My /etc/hosts file reads:

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
192.168.0.254	nec	nec

(The second entry is another machine in my network. It is running apache
and I can connect to it from Mozilla by typing "nec:" in the location
box.)

My /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file reads:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=avatar
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
TYPE=Ethernet

Typing the command, hostname returns dhcppc3.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://rsteff.home.attbi.com/