[PLUG] Java plugin missing or moved, access via symlink? (Re: Opera-6.0.3 crashing constantly)

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Tue Dec 3 23:43:44 UTC 2002

On 3 Dec 2002, Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg-at-pdxlinux.org |PDX Linux| wrote:

> The solution was to fix the symlink and restart Mozilla.  Accessing
> "help | about plugins" told me that it now could "see" the version 1.4
> java runtime plugin.  Access to a page with a silly java applet worked
> again, with no crash.  Check your setup, by listing plugins, etc, and
> looking around in the plugin directories, and see whether all is in
> order.  Perhaps the crash you are experiencing has similar causes.

I'm impressed that you ever had Mozilla work with Java.  Mine crashes
every time I hit an applet.  Fortunately there is a "make Mozilla
unstable" checkbox available that I just uncheck.  (Those wacky developers
have labelled it "enable java".  :-)

Alas, I have not had time to pick through the massive Mozilla codebase to
try and track down the problem.  It's rare that I really need Java,
anyhow.

A good site for diagnosing Java problems is:

http://gemal.dk/browserspy/javajava.html

and some good info on plugins and the MIME types they handle:

http://gemal.dk/browserspy/plugins_detail.html

  -- Steve