[PLUG] Email on Linux vs MS

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Dec 4 16:48:46 UTC 2002

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, stuart mathews wrote:

> Sorry for this vague request.  I am looking for some direction.
>
> An associate of mine and I are trying to help someone identify the optimal path
> for creating a custom-built email system that will forward / route lots of emails.
>  She had assumed the solution would be deployed on Microsoft technology.  As
> a Linux newbie, my instinct is telling me the would be better served to deploy
> this solution on Linux, but I don't know enough about email systems or Linux.
>

> Can someone give me some pointers on why Linux would be superior for this?

Mail under Linux is stable. Mail on Microsoft is not.

I ran the perl5-porters list (over 2,000 subscribers) a couple of years
back on Linux using a P75 with 80megs of memory.  The response time for
the entire list was about 10 minutes for the average message.  (That is
very fast for a mailing list that size.)

The *only* reason people run Exchange is if they need the calender
functions or they like spending money for software that corrupts itself.

And remember, you cannot buy just one Exchange license.  You have to have
another for the backup server.  When Exchange corrupts the user e-mail
database (which happens about once a month or more), you cannot restore a
single user at a time.  You have to restore to a seperate Exchange server
and use voodoo-like import/export tricks to get the mail moved over.

Microsoft for mail is just BAD. Plain and simple.