[PLUG] Red Hat 8.0 Performance Comparison

Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Thu Dec 5 01:35:12 UTC 2002

Dick,

Yeah. I have a couple:

1.) There's a real-time kernel patch by Robert Love that I have found
improves foreground processes significantly. The new kernels have the
option for the patch built into the compiler options, labeled,
``Preemptible Kernel'' under the ``Processor Type and Features''
section.

2.) Make sure that you are using DMA access by default. This is also
compiled as an option in the kernel. With newer kernels, this option is
checked by default.

3.) Make sure support for your motherboard's IDE chipset is compiled in.
You can find a list of supported chipsets (select the one you need)
under the ``ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support/IDE,ATA and ATAPI Block Devices''
section.

4.) See this great article from IBM for manipulating your PCI bus.
Basically, you allow each device full rights to the data bus for a
longer period before it has to relinquish control to another device. In
your case, pay special attention to your video card and Ethernet
controller settings:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/l-hw2.html?dwzone=opensource

5.) make sure your computer is using swap. Given your memory upgrade I
doubt this is the case but it never hurts to check.

6.) If your video card uses an Nvidia chipset then be sure to download
and install the kernel modules (drivers) for it and configure X11 to
take advantage of them. I can offer you an X11 configuration file that
will work with this hardware, just copy and run!

-Cooper