[PLUG] Email on Linux vs MS

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Thu Dec 5 11:17:31 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 17:53, Anthony Schlemmer wrote:
> When I first read about what sort of hoops an admin had to go through to
> restore an Exchange server I was totally baffled as to why any
> organization would invest money in such a system. Email has become a
> fairly important business tool and I can't belive that any company
> wouldn't want that system running on the most reliable platform
> available i.e. Unix or Linux IMHO.

Because the decisons are made by non-technical people who have no clue.
It looks good in the store, and for a while seems great.  It's not until
you own it for a while that you notice the things that are wrong about
it.  They spend money on it becuase doing so is part of the whole
corporate business paradigm.  It's not about getting the goods and
services to people, it's about maximal profit and one for you two for
me.

Email could be a much more important business tool if a) there was
better tools for dealing with it, and b) people actually learned to use
those tools.  Doesn't it just bug the shit out of you when some dope
PRINTS an email?

--
We are deB.ORG.  You will be freed.
http://www.debian.org/