[PLUG] Unknown activity on DSL

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Thu Dec 5 19:45:26 UTC 2002

On 5 Dec 2002, Derek Loree derek-at-infotects.com |PDX Linux| wrote:

> The box that runs SniffIt does not have any firewall rules running
> while I do the sniffing.  I really want to see those packets.  Good
> point about the hub, but I ran "known" traffic through it and was able
> to see that.

You might try a restart on the hub, or even try a different brand
hub.  I've seem some truly strange things with consumer-grade hubs and
packet capture such as every-few packets go to all ports, but most
don't.  Only the uplink port goes to all other ports, etc.

This may not be possible if things have to keep running, but you might try
connecting the modem directly to your sniffer PC via a crossover and see
if the activity blinks continue.  That would eliminate any possiblity of
hub-related silliness.

Another option would be to try a different sniffer just in case some wierd
sniffer bug is involved.

  -- Steve