[PLUG] Why Everyone Should Learn to Program

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Dec 5 22:48:04 UTC 2002

On 5 Dec 2002, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

> These are perfect examples of what I started talking about in another
> branch of this thread...  "non-technical" people often don't really know
> how to use the computerized office tools very well.

  There are two issues here, Karl, and you've hit on one of them. There is a
skill set in using computer applications -- and the computer system itself
-- that should be part of everyone's capabilities. We don't let people
drive a car or a boat or pilot a plane without some level of instruction and
demonstration of competence in the mechanics of using the equipment. I agree
that this needs to be taught to _everyone_. (I don't want to see them all
programming, but that's a different thread.) Those of you in the CS/IT/MIS
and SysAdmin professions see the results of letting anyone behind the wheel
of a computer. The results can be quite ugly.

  The second issue is different and, for some of us, of equal or greater
importance than is the first issue. Teaching someone the mechanics of using
a word processor does not make him/her a writer. Similarly, learning the
mechanics of the appropriate applications does not make one an artist
(graphic or fine art), statistician, spatial analyist or page layout guru.
On this issue, the computer is simply a tool that takes the mechanical
drudgery out of the intellectual task. It allows more focus on the expertise
just as using a four-function calculator minimizes (or eliminates)
arithmetic errors, but it takes different skills to know which keys to push
to get the correct answer.

  I'm bothered by the second issue.