[PLUG] Proprietary Software & the GPL

Richard Langis richard.langis at sun.com
Fri Dec 6 19:15:23 UTC 2002

The problem is that he's PORTING a legacy DOS/Win library to linux with
the original author's permission.

That author may not WANT his code to be GPL'ed.  The fact that Rich is
wanting to do this for him is enough - if, later on, the ORIGINAL author
decides to release his code (and Rich's ported source) to the GPL, then
so be it.

But it is definitely NOT up to Rich as to wether the ported code gets
released into the GPL.  All he wanted to know is if it would be okay to
use GPL apps/libraries/code to create the frontend to his ported app.

-R

--
s u n  m i c r o s y s t e m s

   ~ Richard Langis Jr. ~