[PLUG] Free time wasted costs what?

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Fri Dec 6 20:28:30 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 09:34, Russ Johnson wrote:
> Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>
> >You are grossly exagerating!  Tri-Met is nowhere near as aweful as that,
> >in my experience.  And from Beaverton, it's a straight shot from the MAX
> >to downtown, transfer to the streetcar or a bus and to PSU.  It will
> >take very little longer than driving, if you park at the MAX station in
> >Beaverton.
> >
> Just to give you real world results. I drove to work (downtown from SW
> 185th) yesterday, and rode the Max today.
>
> Driving:
>
> Left house: 8:15
> Arrived Work: 8:47
> Elapsed: 32 minutes.
>
> This included the time walking to my car, parking in a garage, and
> walking a block to work.

Time spent DRIVING.  Hands on the wheel, eyes on the road.

> I avoid most of the Sunset parking lot by driving through Beaverton up
> Canyon Rd. So I don't get on 26 until Sylvan. I'll hate that when they
> turn on the meter at that on ramp. Talk about planned congestion.
>
> Max:
>
> Left house: 8:06
> Parked car at Willow Creek: 8:15
> Max arrives: 8:23
> Arrive Pioneer Square: 8:53
> Arrive Work: 8:59
> Elapsed: 53 minutes.
>
> This includes the time walking to my car, the time walking to and
> waiting for the Max, and the time walking the four blocks from the Max
> to work. The trip outlined here is typical for a morning, rush hour
> commute from Willow Creek transit center. I've been doing this for
> almost 4 years.

Look at all that free time you could be reading a book!  How many books
do you read each month?  I read while I walk also, when it's not raining
out.  I bought a headlamp so I can read at night too.  My joke is that
I'm a knowledge miner... watch your head!

Also, about all that walking?  How's your heart?  Are you in shape?

> I don't think nearly a doubling of my travel time as "very little longer
> than driving".

But when you drive, you remove almost ALL of that free time that you
could be spending reading books, AND you pay a lot more for the ride,
PLUS you are producing POLLUTION.  Yes, the busses burn deisel and
stink, but whether YOU ride it or not, it runs anyhow.  It won't burn
any more or less deisel if you ride it or not (ignoring friction, etc).