[PLUG] RPM controlled? (Re: Removing previous kernels)

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Fri Dec 6 22:15:03 UTC 2002

Steve Bonds wrote:

> The problem is the way RedHat upgrades the kernel.  It overrides a lot of
> the safeties build into RPM in order to allow people to have multiple
> copies of the same package (kernel) installed.  While it usually behaves
> intelligently on removal, it could get real ugly if it didn't.
>
> I agree that the "cleanest" way to uninstall is to use RPM.

The kernel packages are special in RedHat land in that you can remove them
by full name.  Normally rpm won't accept something like

# rpm -e some_package-2.12.14

instead, you would have to do

# rpm some_package

obviously, when you have used rpm to install two kernels and want to get rid
of one,

#rpm -e kernel

would be unpredicatble and undesirable, so instead you do

# rpm -e kernel-2.4.12-4

(whatever the unwanted version is).

I have accidently upgraded a kernel (-u) instead of installing (-i) and it
worked.  I did reboot as soon as I could say "crap!" but it worked--no idea
how...

--
Cheers,
Kyle Accardi