[PLUG] Easiest way to get printing going (ideally on Debian)?

Eric House fixin at peak.org
Sat Dec 7 01:15:43 UTC 2002

My girlfriend has an IBM laptop that used to be dual-boot: she ran
Win98 and I had a small Debian (stable) partition for checking email.
Then she got a Windoze virus that seems to be fixable only by a
complete reinstall, and so she's living in the Debian partition until
we figure out which of her DOS files needs saving.

Unlike me, she needs to print.  And I've never set up printing from
Linux before.  Specifically, she needs to do formatted wordprocessing
and print the results in such a way that they look "professional",
i.e. as if they'd been done in Word.

Any suggestions on 1) what word processor to set her up with; and 2)
what print system to attempt to install?  Does the answer to #2 depend
on the answer to #1?

Thanks,

--Eric House

* From the desktop of: Eric House, fixin at peak.org                            *