[PLUG] File Sharing

AthlonRob athlonrob at data.4t3.com
Sat Dec 7 05:48:13 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 21:29, Robbert van Andel wrote:
> I have a pretty good understanding of sharing files between a linux and
> windows machine, but what I have not been able to find out on the
> internet is how to share files between two linux machines.  Does anyone
> have any recomendations on accomplishing this?  I'd like to set
> something up that I can use nautilus or some other gui interface.  I
> tried using Samba but get an error stating "Could not display smb:
> because no host("null") could be found.

SMB usually works well... if browsing it via smb:// doesn't work (if
you're using slackware and konqueror, Pat just added support in
-current) then you can also mount the shares via smbmount.

Another option, which is less secure, is NFS.

You should be able to find walk-throughs and all sorts of information
about SMB and NFS via google.  It is your friend.  :-)

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
Email and Jabber:                  |    one can never be free.