[PLUG] PLUG meeting

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Sat Dec 7 20:43:11 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 09:25, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On 6 Dec 2002, AthlonRob wrote:
>
> > Well, I can't just let this one go... lol  :-)

Chucks a stone over his shoulder...

>   Me neither! Naivety can be so much fun.
>
> > > the very cost of your vehicle is subsidized through corporate welfare and
> > > inhumane "trade" agreements.  And last but not least by far, the cost of
> > > cleaning up the waste from your vehicle from production, through its
> > > useful life and maintenance, to its final resting place are covered, once
> > > again, by the public as a whole.  If you were presented with the ACTUAL
> > > cost of exclusive use and operation of a motor vehicle, you'd probably
> > > say, "I can't afford to drive", too.
>
>   Well, let's consider history. Are you aware that at the beginning of the
> last century (that's the year 1900) the biggest urban polluter was the
> horse? Yup, the darn things were processing hay and oats at such a high rate
> that New York City was pushing 200-400 _tons_ of horse manure into the
> Hudson and East Rivers each _day_. Yup. Really good for the environment that
> was, and bound to end life on Earth as it was then known.

But at least horse shit is biodegradable.  It may have killed fish
though... I bet it created quite an algae bloom.  The fish would taste
like green pond and shit.

>   And, of course, riding a bicycle -- or walking -- on unpaved, dirt roads
> was a real joy, particulary during the rain and snow. Perhaps that's why so
> many women died during childbirth: they couldn't get to the hospital on
> time.

No, it's because they had not yet developped the surgical techniques
required to install zippers in the bellies of narrow hipped women.
(Couldn't let that one go.)