[PLUG] RPM controlled? (Re: Removing previous kernels)

Mark Martin mmartin at u.washington.edu
Sat Dec 7 23:46:01 UTC 2002

With RPM, using your words, Karl, a unique prefix is allowed to represent the
full package name, as it was with commands in VMS.  However, packages names
have distinct parts, one of which is the version number.

RPM refuses to install packages that conflict with other packages unless
explicitly instructed to ignore the conflicts.  Newer versions of the same
package will replace the old package if installed with the "-U" flag or a
package that conflicts with a completely different package can be forcibly
installed using the "--force" directive.  Have I answered your question or
just danced around it?