[PLUG] Amptron freezes

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Sun Dec 8 00:34:35 UTC 2002

On 7 Dec 2002, Dirk Ouellette hapibeli-at-attbi.com |PDX Linux| wrote:

> I bought an Amptron K7810XLM machine with 128M of memory and a Duron
> 950 processor for my daughter. This was prebuilt by Pacific Solutions.
> I installed RH 8.0 on it and it has a habit of freezing on her usually
> after she goes online using her kppp dialup. Her email won't work
> and/or the taskbar is unusable, though she may be able to surf the web
> unless she drops a gui into the taskbar and then can't retrieve
> anything from there or start a new program as it is frozen. Does this
> sound like a memory chip problem? Dirk

Since the system doesn't crash and the symptoms are so consistent, I
suspect it's a software problem rather than a memory issue.

Of course running memtest86 might be a good idea since that's easier than
tracking down some obscure Gnome/KDE bug and there's always the off chance
it really is a memory problem.

  -- Steve