[PLUG] flickering monitor advice?

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Mon Dec 9 02:58:23 UTC 2002

Anthony Schlemmer wrote:
> Just curious as to how long MOVs usually last? I've read this too but
> how doesn't one go about finding out if the MOVs in a power strip are
> still in a usable condition? I have some power strips that are 5-6
> years old and the indicator lights that supposedly indicate the surge
> suppression circuits are intact still illuminate when the power is
> supplied to the strip.

Can't say how long, depends on how many spikes you get (how many joules
they've absorbed).  Read somewhere that 2-3 years is about it.  There is no
practical way to know that they are still working.  They are sacrificial
components, poor little guys.

Here in Portland, the service seems pretty decent.  My folks live in
Connectitcut and seem to lose a few appliances a year due to brown-outs and
surges.

Safe bet that the MOVs in your outlet strips are shot.  You can replace them
if you know what you are doing.

--
Kyle Accardi