[PLUG] RPM controlled? (Re: Removing previous kernels)

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Dec 9 03:52:21 UTC 2002

Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>Debian's "dpkg" does not have a separate "upgrade" and "install"
>concept.  When you install something for which a version is already
>there, it "simply" performs an upgrade.

Which could be bad. Replacing some libraries with newer version can
break some software.

If I WANT multiple kernel packages installed, then I use -i and install
the second kernel package. It puts kernel, modules and whatnot in kernel
name specific locations and filenames. Grub or lilo get's updated with
the additional kernel so I have the choice at boot time.

The same goes for certain libraries. There have been times where I
needed library.so.2, but my distribution came with library.so.3. Linking
didn't work, and there was much teeth nashing as I tried to figure out
how it worked.

Finally, I was able to -i (install) the additional library, alongside
the existing, newer library, and everything worked.

In some cases, source would have worked as well, but in others, building
from source complained about the missing library (linked or not) too.

--
Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

Love is the delusion that one woman differs from another -- Murphy's Laws on Sex n°58