[PLUG] Anybody else using OSX with Fink?

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Mon Dec 9 19:27:04 UTC 2002

Hello,
  I've been playing around with a friend's new-ish model iBook (the
square white ones) for the last week or so, installing all the things
needed to run a web application I've written.  It's gone actually quite
smoothly with the aid of Fink (fink.sf.net), but it's really quite
slow.  Quite a bit slower than a PII 233 with 128MB ram that's my "dev
server" here at home (the iBook is a 700 Mhz G3 with 384MB ram).

  To hear most Mac fans talk I should be in possession of a
supercomputer that's been crammed into a cute little white plastic
package but last night when I compiled apache and php it took about 3
hours to complete on the iBook, on my PII the same operation takes about
30 minutes; those times are somewhat guesses as I wasn't timing them.  I
do have timing routines in my web app though and it runs 2-3 times
slower for most operations.  "Normal" OSX applications (Photoshop,
BBEdit, etc) seem to be fairly snappy.

  Has anybody else seen something similar?  Did you have a fix?

thanks,
Brent