[PLUG] Mall-Wart hardware

AthlonRob athlonrob at data.4t3.com
Tue Dec 10 18:53:34 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 17:22, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Last week someone posted a URL to an article that reported on Mall-Wart's
> $200 boxes running lindows. I'm wondering if one of these wouldn't be a
> cheap way to get a faster system than I now have for my main
> workstation/server (a PII/333 with 328M RAM). I'd have to put in a larger
> hard drive and more memory, but ....
>
>   Has anyone done this? Any thoughts on the idea?

I'd be wary of using the CPU in those things and expecting much of an
improvement over your 333MHz P2.

Those C3's are *very very very* slow - their FPU makes the FPU on a K6-2
look fast.

This hampers multimedia, compiling, SETI at Home, and really just anything
you use on the computer.  I wouldn't be surprised if somebody told me
those 387 add-on FPUs for 386's had more power than a C3's FPU.

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
Email and Jabber:                  |    one can never be free.