[PLUG] Short-term ISP Recommendations?

AthlonRob athlonrob at data.4t3.com
Wed Dec 11 17:08:06 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 08:03, Mike De La Mater wrote:
> Have you considered America On Line (AOL)? They have great
> free offers. I can send you special offer CD, if you like.
> (this is sarcasm, there is no need to help me)

Well, depending on Geoff's situation, AOL may be perfect for him.

AOL has a free 45-day trial offer with 1025 hours available for use in
those 45 days.  After they're up, he can just cancel the service.

For initial setup, he'd need Windoze - be it in VMWare, Win4Lin, or
whatnot... although AOL 5.0 works fairly well in Wine.

But from there on out, he could connect via PengAOL... a non-official
client that lets you connect to AOL as if it were a standard ISP.  He
also wouldn't be supporting a company with a bad attitude - instead he
would be taking advantage of their free trial offer and disposing of
them.  Ethical?  Probably not... but this is AOL we're talking about.

You're assured access numbers virtually anywhere you go and it is free.
It just might be worth considering.

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
Email and Jabber:                  |    one can never be free.