[PLUG] Short-term ISP Recommendations?

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Dec 11 17:59:25 UTC 2002

On 11 Dec 2002, AthlonRob wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 08:03, Mike De La Mater wrote:
> > Have you considered America On Line (AOL)? They have great
> > free offers. I can send you special offer CD, if you like.
> > (this is sarcasm, there is no need to help me)
>
> Well, depending on Geoff's situation, AOL may be perfect for him.

Yes, but it flunks the first requirement: I don't need to install
any software to use the ISP.

The wife's laptop is running Win 98, & we have no O/S CD for it.
The problem of AOL software overwriting various dll files is too
well known for me to consider this route -- although I've used AOL
in the past, & could get it to do what I need it to.

I don't mind paying a few dollars for access, say $10-- to $20--.
And with the right kind of ISP, I'd be the perfect customer: just
connect, spend an hour or two online a day mostly either surfing or
connecting via telnet/ssh to my account at agora, no stupid support
calls or unreasonable demands.

And if they have demonstrated ethical behavior in regards to spam &
user privacy, then I know I won't have to worry about evils like
unreliable connections, server crashes, etc.

Any other suggstions?

Geoff