[PLUG] Speaking of Thin Clients...

guy1656 guy1656 at ados.com
Wed Dec 11 19:53:09 UTC 2002

Reply regarding Re: [PLUG] Speaking of Thin Clients... from Doug Davis:
: On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 09:32, Rich Shepard wrote:
: >   Thin client/fat hype. Vmware and win4lin have been doing this for
: > several years now. I suppose that a third competitor might bring prices
: > down and that would be a Good Thing (TM).
: >
: > Rich
:
: The difference is that the Codeweavers product runs natively on Linux
: through a modified wine. No Windows OS license is needed as it is in
: VMWare.

I have been using VMWare for a while now. I am most happy with it because it
*works* for my level of proficiency and my desired level of user involvement
with managing a computer versus 'using' it to do 'other things.'

This talk of WINE encouraged me give it a try. So I went to the site

(http://www.codeweavers.com/technology/wine/)

and downloaded the 6.1MB file (48min - I live in dial-up land. This is
relevant because of the Wal-Mart/$199 computer thread. Most Wally-Worlds are
located in, and service rural communities. DSL? A joke. Who can afford it at
$30/mo when the unemployment rate around here upwards of 10%?!? Plus, we'd
have to move into town - like St. Helens.) This I include so that the
city-folk on this list can adjust their perspective a bit.

1. Comes as an RPM (So far so good. You can install that w/ a double-click.)
2. The install looked pretty much like it was shown on the webpage. Not bad.
For us KDE folks, the Codeweavers site mentions a
Other than that, most of the choices seemed relevant to the way I want to
operate my computer. Only the last screen had stuff I didn't understand,
which means it shouldn't really be important (GLL: Just underlining the
user-friendly attitude here.)

I selected the '/fake windows' install. The dialog box congratulated me and
dutifully went away when I pressed 'Finish.' Things are REALLY looking up!

3. I have an old .EXE file hanging around. Double click, and:

ANNK! YOU LOSE:

"Warning:
The Wine launcher is unable to find the xmessage program, which it needs to
properly notify you of Wine execution status or problems.

This launcher script relies heavily on finding this tool, and without it, it
will behave very poorly.

We strongly recommend that you use your distribution's software methods to
locate xmessage, or alternatively use your favourite internet search engine
to find out how you are supposed to install xmessage on your system."

4. OK so I wentback to Codeweavers' 'Troubleshooting' page, and downloaded
X11-R6-contrib as an RPM, (that's the thingie that contains xmessage) and did
a double-click install.

RESULT:

My test .exe WORKED!!! (It's called the 'Office Resistant.')

Now I'm here to tell ya, if -I- can do this, then Linux is REALLY close to
ready to deploy on $199 desktops in the hinterlands...

Cheers, everybody! (Next stop - 'Fighting Steel,' an old (late 1990's) WWI
naval warship game.)

-GLL