[PLUG] Spam Questions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Dec 12 21:05:51 UTC 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Abraham Zwygart wrote:

> I was in a meeting with upper management that are really upset about spam.
> I am trying to come up with some ideas on how to stop it or at least
> reduce it ( i am getting over 40 spam messages a day).  We have a redhat
> linux pop 3 email server and lots of windows nt pc.

> Is there something that can I can by to  put on the linux box?  If there
> is will it require some on full time to maintain it? Is there a third
> party company that could monitor the email before it get to use?

Abraham,

  What are you using for your MTA? If you install postfix on your linux box,
and that's the mail server for the company, it can readily be configured to
filter out most spam. Heck, even I got it set up in place of the default
sendmail, and I've been tuning it since last May. I now get between 0-6 spam
per day that slip past all the filters. I'll send you a copy of yesterday's
mail report (generated by pflogsumm.pl and mailed to me each day).

> Also has anyone heard of Sopho anti-virus?  I am looking for someone that
> knows how to configure it.  It seams to be working, just have some
> configuration question???

  No. Since we're strictly linux here I pay no attention to the AV stuff.
However, you can also set up postfix to reject mail with any executable
extension.