[PLUG] best server motherboard?

Alex Daniloff alex at daniloff.com
Fri Dec 13 05:25:41 UTC 2002

Take a look at Tyan Thunder K7X Pro S2469 or Thunder K7X S2469 mobos.

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/athlon.html

These boards have everything what is nessesary to build a decent
mid range server. SCSI, VGA, dual LAN controllers, plus new 66 MHz PCI bus
and other goodies. If you want to build a real server better go with SCSI.
IDE RAID is just a crap in the long run.

Alex

On Thursday 12 December 2002 19:54, Don Buchholz wrote:
> Carla Schroder wrote:
> > It's a quiet day, so what the heck. Ferocious debate going on over what's
> > the best motherboard for a Linux Web server? Just a plain, dependable
> > mobo without silly frills? I say you can't go wrong with IBM boards, but
> > I'm being pummeled by a hardcore MSI aficionado who adores the ones with
> > onboard IDE RAID. For some weird reason, ASUS still has devotees, too.
>
> Well I know, from experience, that ASUS is certainly lacking
> when it comes to built-in diagnostics.  IBM has them.  Can't
> speak for MSI.
>
> IMHO, there's nothing that sucks more than a (server) mother-
> board which can't even run a check on it's own memory and
> report a failing module.  (Had a bad DIMM a few months ago
> which probably cost more in labor/time/frustration to trouble-
> shoot than buying IBM/HP/Dell/etc. would've cost in the first
> place.)
>
> When one suspects hardware problems, it's really nice to press
> [F1/Delete/Tab/....] and go into BIOS diag routines to test the
> system -- or at least have a bootable CD with diag tests which
> actually matches the hardware in the system.
>
> - Don

Microsoft Windows users should be covered
under the Americans with Disabilities Act!!!
Try Linux and you'll understand why...