[PLUG] SCSI tape soft error LOGGING - HOW?

Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Sat Dec 14 02:25:26 UTC 2002

Okay, Keven, here you go...

If I understand your question correctly, you are saying, ``Hey, a friend
of mine has this really cool thing on his Solaris box where it outputs
soft tape error messages /var/log/syslog, how can I do the same?''

In that context, here's how...

Let's say that you are using 'tar' to make your backup. Here's how:

tar cvf /dev/st0 / 2>>/var/log/syslog

The important thing here to see is the '2>>/var/log/syslog' part of the
command. This will *append* any messages bound for channel two (error
channel) to the /var/log/syslog file.

If I have mis-interpreted your message please let me know.

Best,

Cooper