[PLUG] SCSI tape soft error LOGGING - HOW?

Russell Evans revans at e-z.net
Sat Dec 14 21:27:36 UTC 2002

CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS:

The error messages regarding your SCSI hardware will be easier to
understand if you say Y here; it will enlarge your kernel by about
12 KB. If in doubt, say Y.

CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING:

This turns on a logging facility that can be used to debug a number
of SCSI related problems.

If you say Y here, no logging output will appear by default, but you
can enable logging by saying Y to "/proc file system support" and
"Sysctl support" below and executing the command

   echo "scsi log token [level]" > /proc/scsi/scsi

at boot time after the /proc file system has been mounted.

There are a number of things that can be used for 'token' (you can
find them in the source: drivers/scsi/scsi.c), and this
allows you to select the types of information you want, and the
level allows you to select the level of verbosity.

If you say N here, it may be harder to track down some types of SCSI
problems. If you say Y here your kernel will be somewhat larger, but
there should be no noticeable performance impact as long as you have
logging turned off.

Maybe http://evlog.sourceforge.net/why_not_just_use_syslog.html

CONFIG_EVLOG:

This enables support for enterprise level event logging based upon
the draft POSIX 1003.25 standard. Enabling this feature does not affect
the operation of the sysklogd package in any way. In order to fully
utilize this feature user must also install the companion evlog package
in user-space.

For more information see http://systemras.sourceforge.net

Thank you
Russell