[PLUG] 4GB Address space ?

Fedor G. Pikus fedorp at wv.mentorg.com
Tue Dec 17 07:52:03 UTC 2002

4G per process (actually 3 of user space, and 1G of kernel space, you can
hack the kernel to redistribute this a bit, up to about 3.6G user space).
If you enable the 36-bit extension (Intel PAE), you can use >4G RAM up to
64G, but still only 3G per process, so a fully loaded PAE machine with 64G
RAM can run 21 processes of 3G each at the same time, and the remaining 1G
is for the kernel.