[PLUG] CUPS stopped printing from a networked host

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Dec 19 16:48:04 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>   I had to shut down my client workstation to replace the video
Rich> card. Since it came back on the network we can no longer print
Rich> _anything_ from it. The printers are physically attached to the
Rich> server host, and the client's been configured properly before.

Rich>   On the no-longer-functioning machine there is no
Rich> /usr/sbin/printers so I don't know how to diagnose the problem
Rich> and fix it. I've stopped and restarted cupsd but that makes no
Rich> difference.

Rich>   Has anyone some suggestions I can try?

Here are some things to try:

 1) understand how the system works;

 2) think about how all the parts of the system interact;

 3) think about what parts might have stopped working;

 4) check and confirm that they are still working the way they are
    supposed to;

 5) when you find something that is not working, fix it and then go to
    step 1. Repeat until desired function is restored.

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more